We all know that the colder weather can play havoc on our health – colds and flu and also a sense of malaise and inertia can set in. Thankfully, Yoga’s sister science Ayurveda has some handy and simple hints to help us thrive during the coldest time of the year;
1.Eat warm nourishing foods that are in season. Soups and stews are perfect- save the salad until the warmer months
2.Drink warm drinks – especially herbal teas. Ginger tea is great during winter; simply slice some ginger and pour some boiling water over the top. Let it steep for about five minutes and enjoy! In the morning try warm water with a squeeze of lemon juice to get things moving
3. Get on your yoga mat! Yoga is the perfect way to stay healthy during the colder months. A regular practice will bring about ;
- Greater flexibility
- Stronger muscles
- Healthier joints
- Improved posture
- Stronger bones
- Cardiovascular conditioning
- Improved lung function
- Lower stress levels
- Weight loss
- Balancing of the nervous system
- Improved immune function
- Reduction of mental tension
- Increased focus and concentration
4. Get some vitamin D – it is essential for strong bones, muscles and overall good health. Lack of sunlight is also the main cause for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) so getting some sunshine is important to preventing the winter blues. In Australia the UV levels during winter are low so get outside and turn your face to the sun!
5. Laugh! Victor Hugo said “Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face” and we couldn’t agree more. If you are feeling a little melancholy watch your favourite happy movie, hang out with some funny friends or check out a comedy show. Laughter increases your endorphin levels, relieves stress, improves your immunity and best of all makes you feel good!
We hope that these handy hints help you cruise through winter feeling happy and healthy!
The Yoga Flame Team